It’s that time of year again! The time for Friendsgivings, Thanksgivings, Christmas parties, and more! What’s your favorite dish to bring to these occasions? Mine is definitely butternut squash and/or sweet potatoes! So I figured, what better dish to enjoy than a combination of the two? This is a simple, very low sugar, very tasty side to bring to your next potluck! And you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry already! If you love the flavors of holiday spices as much as I do, you definitely have to give this a try.
- 6 cups water
- 3 cups diced butternut squash
- 3 cups diced sweet potato
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1.5 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Place water on the stove in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, add sweet potatoes to water.
- Let sweet potatoes get slightly tender in the water before adding the butternut squash.
- Once both the sweet potato and butternut squash are in the pot, allow them to sit in the boiling water until both are very tender.
- Drain the sweet potato and butternut squash in a colander.
- Pour sweet potato and butternut squash into a large bowl and mash with a wire masher or fork.
- When the mixture is slightly mashed, add the butter, brown sugar, and spices. (Feel free to add more or less, based on your preference. Taste as you go!)
- Continue to mash/mix until the mixture is the texture that you prefer. (I personally like a more lumpy texture, but feel free to mash until it’s as smooth as you want it.)
- Serve in a large bowl and top with another dash of cinnamon for garnish.
2 responses to “Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Mash”
This look absolutely yummy!
It was!! (: